Monday, August 3, 2009

My 1st Full Day

After our long flight over here, they decided to give us the day off today before we get down to business. I'd say I took advantage of the opportunity.

This morning, I went down to the coffee shop in our hotel to try some Arabian-style coffee. It was definitely a bit stronger than what I'm used to but it also had a good flavor to it. I will have to go get an ibrik and coffee grinder so I can start making my own coffee.

After that, I met up with my friends Chris, Jeff, and Andrew to go to the mall to exchange my U.S. dollars for dirhams (the currency they use here). We walked around the mall for a while, just to see what kind of stores they have. There were a ton of jewelry and watch stores but otherwise it looked like an American mall. For lunch we decided to stay in our comfort zones and ate at a Subway, which was also pretty much the same. Finally, we went down to the grocery store to get some snacks to munch on. I got some "French cheese" flavored Lays potato chips, some flat bread, and water and juice.

This afternoon Jeff, Andrew, and I decided we wanted to go to the beach. When we got to the ocean front, we asked this man at the hotel how to get to the beach. He pointed us towards their hotel's private beach, and they also had a health spa back there as well. We hung out on the beach for awhile, then went and sat in this steam room that smelled like mints (and made us smell minty too). Then we started talking to these (cute) German girls in the hot tub and found out they teachers too (just visiting for their summer vacation though). They also informed us that they had to pay $30 to be at the spa for the day, so I guess you could say we accidently snuck in. Oh well.

For dinner we went to a Lebanese bakery. We had flat bread and hummus for an appetizer, then for my meal I got a flatbread that had meat and cheese baked into it. It was pretty tasty, and really inexpensive too! I think I am going to like the food here!

Sorry I didn't get pictures up, my internet service was not functional again today so I had to use the hotels computers. But don't worry, I'm trying to take lots of pictures to share!

Goodnight from Abu Dhabi,

Matt

7 comments:

  1. Dear Matt, come back and be my roommate again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I am so happy to hear that you have some buddies to hang out with. Glad you are enjoying the food and that you were able to exchange your money to the UAE currency. It was good that you were able to relax at the beach and in the spa. No doubt you will continue to have many wonderful adventures. Enjoy it all. I cannot wait to see your pictures! As always, I am sending my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are fitting in quite well. I should have gone with you....Arabian coffee, flat bread and hummus!!!! mmmm-good! Be safe! The girls and I will be reading up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RoRo said as a friend of Abbie's and David's and I love reading your blog. It's like traveling vicariously to other places. Glad you got there safe and sound and have lots of adventures while you are there. Can't wait to see the pictures! I will be starting school on the 10th... sounds like you will be starting sooner... tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, you should tell us more about Jeff and Andrew. Did you meet them on the plane? Are they awesome? Are they going to be teaching in the same school as you?

    From your favorite sister, Andrea

    (I'm going to start posting as "Anonymous" and just sign my name because it's too complicated otherwise.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really Andrea, is it that hard for you? I think you'd like this place. There are shopping malls everywhere. And yeah, we'd have fun sneaking into spas together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like the culture shock isn't as bad as I would have anticipated, so hopefully you can get sort of acclimated before you start teaching!

    ReplyDelete